Xstrata retains leadership in Dow Jones Sustainability Index
“The main sustainability issue facing the mining industry is that of declining ore grades, which implies that over time, more mineral ore needs to be extracted and processed in order to produce the same amount of metal. This is likely to exacerbate many of the environmental and social issues facing the mining & metals industry going forward. Some of the prominent environmental issues include mineral waste management, as well as the management of key inputs such as energy and water. Social issues are mainly centered around the health & safety of workers and general labor conditions. Issues such as land rights, population relocations, the use of private security forces to protect mining assets, and mine closure also remain very controversial. As with other extractive industries, the mining space is particularly susceptible to corruption, bribery and other breaches of the Codes of Conduct”
- Xstrata tops the Dow Jones Sustainability Index for the basic resources sector for the second year in a row.
- Most important changes of the index for the mining industry are the inclusion of Newcrest and Kinross, and the removal from the index of ArcelorMittal and Goldcorp.
- Assessment criteria include economic, environmental, and social topics. Full list of criteria can be found here.
- Inclusion in the DJSI is mainly a marketing issue; it does not have direct operational or financial consequences. Many countries do require foreign investors to adhere to global reporting initiatives to ensure a certain level of sustainability, but DSJI requires a much broader set of policies.
- Xstrata especially scores higher than industry average in terms of climate strategy, mineral waste management, human capital development, and standards for suppliers. The benchmark report will certainly be used by some companies to prioritize areas for improvement.
©2011 | Wilfred Visser | thebusinessofmining.com
Top Mining Industry Blogs
The Business of Mining was selected among the world's top 9 mining industry blogs by Mining IQ.